The Underdogs Research Paper:
Requirements for The Underdogs Research Paper:
- Choose one, and only one, of the following prompts.
- Write a 2-4 page paper in response to the prompt you choose.
- Make sure that your paper contains an argumentative thesis statement and several paragraphs of analysis rather than plot summary.
- Use short, (no more than two typed lines) specific passages from The Underdogs to support your point and cite the references parenthetically.
- We neither require nor recommend the use of any other sources except the book, but if you do use another source, it must be cited according to MLA format.
Choose one of the prompts for The Underdogs Research Paper:
- According to Azuela's The Underdogs, what were the roles of women in the Mexican Revolution? Were these roles positive or negative?
- Discuss the idea of caudillismo/personalism in Azuela's The Underdogs.
Why are the caudillos an important part of the Mexican Revolution? How does Azuela's portrayal of revolutionary leaders show either the advantages or the disadvantages to the Latin American tendency of following a caudillo?
- Compare and contrast Demetrio Macías with Luis Cervantes. What does Azuela's portrayal of these two figures say about the importance of education, charisma, and brute strength for revolutionary leaders or participants?
- You may also write about something else that interests you in The Underdogs or in Que vivan los tamales. If you choose this prompt, you must discuss your topic with your recitation leader before you write the paper.