Straight Outta Compton Research Papers
Many people throughout the United States of America saw the movie Straight Outta Compton during 2015. The storyline detailed the rise of the popular rap group, NWA, or Niggaz Wit Attitudes. More specifically, the movie is a biopic highlighting the careers of rappers Eazy-E, Dr. Dre, and Ice Cube. As such, the movie generated much controversy because of the juxtaposition between its popularity and respectability politics.
There is a school of thought within some minority communities, particularly among African-Americans, that such depictions of urban life are base and contribute to negative stereotypes. Furthermore, the advocates of respectability politics question the artistic merits of hood movies, or movies glorifying rap and that lifestyle. Also, there have been criticisms of misogyny, as the biopic shows the rappers abusing women. Their style of rap has been referred to as gangsta rap, and they are negative role models. Teenagers and young adults must focus on their education, graduating college, and using their ingenuity to contribute to society.
Straight Outta Compton was a critical success. As such, the movie received Academy Award consideration. It was nominated for best original screenplay, but lost to Spotlight.
- Compton is in California, just south of Los Angeles.
- The movie is based on an album with the same name released in 1988.
- Both the album and movie seek to capture the core of urban poverty
- They also address the anger and frustration of young men who believe they cannot advance within mainstream society.
- The influences on their careers and relationships are also examined.