Neglect as Child Abuse
Neglect as Child Abuse is one of many research paper topics that Paper Masters provides. Use this topic suggestion as a guide on how to write a paper or order your own custom research paper.
There are four main types of child abuse: sexual abuse, physical abuse, emotional abuse and neglect. In a research paper on neglect as child abuse, you will research a specific population that has been identified as “at risk”. In this case, it is children who are neglected. The common definition of “at risk” is: a group of people who share a characteristic that causes each member to be susceptible to a particular event, disease, or undesirable conditions. The purpose of doing a research paper on neglect as a form of child abuse is to educate yourself on this population and to research the most effective ways of advocating for that children that are neglected.
Examples of “at risk” populations for child neglect include, but are not limited to:
- Single parents and/or their children
- Children whose parents are incarcerated or homeless
- Children whose parents suffer from chronic poverty, chemical dependency, mental illness or terminal illness.
- Teenage parents
- GLBT population
- Children in foster care
Your research paper should include the following:
- Describe, in detail, the population you have researched. Include specific demographic and statistical information.
- Identify specific challenges and obstacles for this population. What are they “at risk” of? Be detailed.
- How can families, communities and society prevent individuals from falling into the specific populations in the first place and promote resiliency? Give specific details regarding who, where, when & what specific steps should be taken. Be specific.
- Identify what steps should be taken to reduce the social problems identified in the population. What programs or policies should be implemented to better serve this population?
- Discuss the costs and benefits of prevention versus intervention with this population.
Be sure to include statistics on neglect as child abuse. You many want to note the percentage of abuse cases that are neglect verses the other three types of child abuse. A good resource for this is the governmental study on child victims (http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/cb/pubs/cm10/cm10.pdf#page=61). Each type of child abuse is discussed with interesting statistics on neglect. Take your research from government statistics and credible academic, peer reviewed journals. All other forms of statistics are generally misleading and distributed with an agenda. Watch carefully where your information is coming from.