Low Socioeconomic Schools and Parent Involvement
A common assignment on Low Socioeconomic Schools and Parent Involvement is as follows:
Critique a written article that I will use in a literary review. My literary review is on parent involvement low socioeconomic schools and its affects on student achievement. Being a teacher I think that the students who receive extra home support have better success in school. I need a 3 page write up. I have included some questions/guide lines to help.
How to Critique a Journal in low Socioeconomic Schools and Parent Involvement Research Paper:
I. What type of research most accurately describes this study? Quantitative, qualitative or mixed method? Which mixed method (sequential, concurrent, transformative)?
II. The Problem
- Is it clearly defined?
- How is the hypothesis, research questions, objective, purpose formulated?
- Theoretical framework?
III. Is there a review of relevant literature? Does it help make the case for the study?
IV. The Design
- Appropriate research design to utilize to address the problem?
- What is the population? The sample? What type of sample?
- Were the samplings (groups) methods clearly outlined, randomized (etc)?
V. The Procedure
- Were treatment/data collection methods described so that you could replicate the study? (or at least fully understand what they did)
- Was the sample adequately described?
- Was there an explanation of extraneous sources of error, i.e. did they control for confounding variables?
VI. The Measurement
- Was there any evidence of reliability and/or validity of the instrumentation?
VII. Discussion & Interpretation
- Were the results consistent with the obtained data?
- Were there generalizations made about the population from which the sample was drawn?
VIII. Was this a significant study? Why or why not?
IX. How would you have conducted the study differently? Give a rationale.