Life of Edgar Allan Poe
Format for Life of Edgar Allen Poe Research Paper:
- Page 1: Life of Person-Author(Biography): Personal Info-Family Info-Do not talk about his writings on the 1st page!
- Page 2-3: His works-writings(write about them; Why he wrote them?? Did his works reflect on his personal life or family? Was there a specific speech pattern(writing) in his works, such as Victorial? What encouraged the author to select a theme(s) in his writings(why pick themes?) What happened to his writings today-Are they popular today?? What does the author think about his own writings?
- Pages 3-4: What do others(different authors-important people of his time) think and say about the author and his writings(works); Conclusion Paragraphs about author-What do you think-(the writer of this research paper) about him as an author and his works?? *Include any other important-relevant information about author; write other thoughts or opinions about him or his writings*
Things to consider while writing Life of Edgar Allen Poe Research Paper
- Grammar and spelling
- Write in complete sentences
- Need at least 10 different citations from different sources-You can use whatever sources you would like. But make sure they are reliable and resourceful-(Online, books, journal articles, encyclopedias online, etc.)Use as many sources as you want to complete the paper(remember to use in MLA format!)-You Need citations in paper if you use quotes, stats, word for word or another author's opinions!
- Need works cited page(sources)
- Please make it clear-support sources
Overview of Edgar Allen Poe
Critics claim there was more than one side to Edgar Allen Poe. Poe is remembered for introducing the genre of mystery writing and for creating works that inspire terror, awe, and disbelief. He is most often remembered for works that uncover the darkest of all human agendas. At the same time, Poe displayed a fascination for the lighter aspects of human emotion. While his short stories explore the dark side of human nature many of his poems center on themes of love, joy, beauty, and happiness.
Edgar Allan Poe was born in 1809 in Boston, Massachusetts. Poe’s father abandoned the family when he was very young. Both of his parents were actors. Poe traveled from place to place with his mother until her death in 1811. After his mother’s death, Poe was placed in the home of John Allan, a wealthy merchant. His two siblings were placed in different homes. Poe did not enjoy a close relationship with his foster father. Later, Allen disowned Poe after he was kicked out of school for gambling debts. Poe married in 1836 but his wife died ten years later. Despite his success he was never able to rise above his feelings of depression and his bouts with madness. He died on October 7, 1849 following a binge-drinking event.