Herbert Spencer's Progress
Many historians have viewed Social Darwinism as the philosophical support for the business practices of industrialists such as Rockefeller, Carnegie, and Vanderbilt. Read this excerpt from Herbert Spencer's Progress: Its Law and Cause. Spencer is viewed as the leading advocate of Social Darwinism in the United States.
Questions to be answered in Herbert Spencer's Progress Research Paper:
- How does he define progress? The site notes that Spencer specifically discusses race and class in this excerpt.
- What relationship do they have to his idea of progress? Then read Carnegie's Gospel of Wealth.
- How do his views compare to those of Spencer?
- How does he propose to solve the problem of the administration of wealth?
- Please write an essay in which you explore the questions above.
Paper Title/Topic/Issue: Social Darwinism
- Documentation on Herbert Spencer's Progress: Its Law and Cause and Carnegie's Gospel of Wealth
- Length– 4.5 pages (courier font) – Font size is 12pt. –This does not include the title or reference page:
- Focus of the Paper – The paper must explore and answer the following questions.
• Read Spencer's Progress: Its Law and Cause. Spencer is viewed as the leading advocate of Social Darwinism in the United States. How does he define progress?
• The site notes that Spencer specifically discusses race and class in this excerpt.
What relationship do they have to his idea of progress?
• Read Carnegie's Gospel of Wealth.
How does Carnegie's views compare to those of Spencer?
How does he propose to solve the problem of the administration of wealth?
Reference information as follows:
- Included two (2) additional references (see below for guidance) beside the two above. I will add the above to the reference page. However, the information must be cited in the text.
Paper Criteria for Herbert Spencer's Progress Research Paper:
- The paper must be clear, engaging, original, and focused; ideas and content are richly developed with details and examples.
- Organization and form enhance the central idea and theme; ideas are presented coherently to move the reader through the text.
- The voice of the writer is compelling and conveys the writer’s meaning through effective sentence structure and precise word choices.
- The writer successfully moves the paper through academic constructs and experiential documentation to critical analysis.
- The paper demonstrates a clear balance of these three components.
- The paper is developed through coherently linked paragraphs, each devoted to an aspect of the topic.
- The vocabulary and diction represent college-level usage.
- The grammar, spelling, and APA style in this paper must be correct. This means students must use complete sentences and make minimal grammar mistakes.
Writing the Paper Herbert Spencer's Progress Research Paper:
General Writing Requirements
- Must include an introductory paragraph with a succinct thesis statement.
- Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought in structured paragraphs.
- Must conclude with a restatement of the thesis and a conclusion paragraph.
- Must be double-spaced pages and formatted according to APA style
- Must include a title page that includes the following in sequence: Student’s name and Title of paper
- Reference Page
- Must use APA style
- Must include, on the final page, a Reference List that is completed according to APA style
- Font Size: 12 point
- Margins – 1” top, bottom, right, and left – DO NOT INCREASE MARGINS TO 1.25 Alignment – left side – DO NOT PUT ON JUSTIFIED
- Note: APA Format – after a period one space – NOT TWO.
Use only scholarly sources – Goggle Scholars, ProQuest, EbscoHost, Education Institutions, and Government Body databases. DO NOT USE REFERENCES THAT CANNOT BE ACCESSED. For Example: A unique website to a school or documentation that can only be purchased.
Reference: All references require a URL for checking sources. This is mandatory.