Comparison of Ghettos in a Book and Movie
A common assignment on Comparison of Ghettos in a Book and Movie is as follows:
This is a comparative paper, either of two different ghettos or of One ghetto in a book and in a movie. I would like the movie/book comparison done, either of the pianist the book and movie or Schindler’s List the book and movie. This would be the easiest, and other sources are listed below if need. When comparing the book to the movie please focus on four to five of these topics shown in the movie and book versions.
- Ghetto population
- Food supply and smuggling
- The Judenrat
- Work/work environment
- Sickness and disease
- Family relations
- The status/plight of children in the ghetto
- Cultural activities
- Women and gender roles
- Quality of life in the ghetto
- Class structure of the ghetto
- Resistance in the ghetto
- Age and class structure in the ghetto
- Were ghettos open or closed?
Comparison of Ghettos
In this paper please compare a book to a movie version of a ghetto, and touch on 4 to 5 of the topics above. So you are comparing these 4 to 5 topics as they are portrayed in the movie and book and how they are different or the same.
This should be a comparative paper. This paper should compare two different ghettos (such as Warsaw and Lodz), or compare different portraits of a single ghetto. For example, you could compare the portrait of the Lodz ghetto in the book you read with the portrait in a film and/or in our textbooks, and/or in a survivor’s testimony, and/or in the US Holocaust museum exhibit, etc.
Importance of Citations: you must use citations
Here are some guidelines:
a. all direct quotes from a book must have a page cite.
b. all facts, statistics, dates, and events that are NOT common knowledge should have a source and page citation.(i.e. if your friends don’t know it, you need a cite.)
- Because you have listed your sources on the top of the page you can cite the LAST NAME of the author and the page in the paper.
- However, if you are referring to an article in an edited book, include both the author of the article AND the editors of the book.
- You may place this short citation in parentheses ( ) in the text of your paper or at the end of the relevant sentence.
USE OF INTERNET SOURCES — highly restricted