Colin Powell Research Papers
Colin Powell is hailed as one of the most honorable, responsibility driven individuals to ever hold a political position in the United States. The son of immigrants, he now holds the position of Secretary of State. Powell is attributed with more positive traits than perhaps any other American politician. The son of Jamaican immigrants, Powell grew up in a middle class neighborhood in the South Bronx. A great majority of those who lived in his neighbor were Jewish. Growing up, religion was a very important part of his family life. Powell attended college at the City of College of New York, where he became involved in the ROTC program. Colin Powell research papers have been written by our political science experts.
Powell's Military Career
Powell joined the military after graduating from college. He served in the Vietnam War yet he achieved fame in the Gulf War. Powell began in the infantry, and soon moved up to the positions of platoon leader and liaison officer. In 1962, Colin served as an advisor to a South Vietnamese division. In the late 1960s, Colin served a second tour in Vietnam. During the Gulf War, General Powell served as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the highest-ranking office in the Department of Defense. Powell served a total of 35 years as a professional soldier.
According to The Academy of Achievement, Powell’s achievements include:
- Serving in Washington, D.C. under every presidential administration from Nixon to George Bush.
- In 1989, Powell was appointed to the position of Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
- On December 16, 2000, he was nominated by President Bush as Secretary of State.
- He was unanimously confirmed for the position by the U.S. Senate and sworn in on January 20, 2001.
- Powell holds the distinction of being the first black man to hold this top position.
- He has been awarded:
- President’s Citizens Medal
- The Secretary of State Distinguished Service Medal
- Two Presidential Medals of Freedom
- The Congressional Gold Medal
- The Secretary of Energy Distinguished Service Medal.
In addition, he holds a number of honorary degrees from universities around the country.