Image of Nurses and Nursing
A common assignment for Image of Nurses and Nursing is as follows:
Information on Image of Nurses and Nursing Research Paper:
- Write an opinion essay suitable for inclusion on the op-ed pages of a newspaper or magazine.
- The theme of the essay should address the image of nurses and nursing, specifically focusing on their competence, knowledge and skills instead of how kind, caring and compassionate nurses are.
- Op-eds usually address a timely issue, one that has been in the news and must strongly aarticulate a point of view or opinion.
- They can proposes a solution to a problem, present a personal experience that relates to a public issue or a 'dramatic' story that talks about what nurses do.
- The paper should present in some way that nurses are knowledgeable, and there is much study and schooling behind the profession.
- Op-eds usually address a timely issue, one that has been in the news and must strongly articulate a point of view or opinion.
- They can proposes a solution to a problem, present a personal experience that relates to a public issue or a 'dramatic' story that talks about what nurses do. If you plan to submit your essay to a newspaper or a professional journal, please discuss with your course professor prior to submission.
Evaluation criteria for Image of Nurses and Nursing Research Paper:
- Opinion is clearly expressed in 3- 3.5 pages.
- The letter is suitable for inclusion in either the editorial page of a newspaper or the letters section of a professional journal.
- The theme of the letter identifies/addresses the image of nurses with a focus/emphasis on competency, skills, and knowledge versus caring and compassion.
- Writing is professional, use of grammar, spelling, terminology etc. is appropriate, and the issue is well developed with a good logical flow to the argument/discussion.
- The opinions expressed are well supported/defended with examples, explanations and references (statistics, research findings, literature, and theory).
- Analysis shows evidence of critical thinking and creative writing and personal perspective/beliefs/assumptions are explored and discussed. If relevant, discussion of the issue identifies strategies for resolution or next steps.
- The conclusion draws together all ideas outlined in the introduction.