Developmental Periods of Lifespan
PORTFOLIO ESSAY GUIDELINES:
Objectives # 1, 2, and 3 for Developmental Periods of Life Span Research Paper:
Examine major developmental concepts, theories, and research findings.
Explore physical, cognitive, social, and emotional development in the various developmental periods of the life span. Examine societal philosophies, attitudes, and values regarding development during the various periods of the life span.
- Compare major concepts of the following developmental theories across the life span: Freud, Erikson, Havighurst, Piaget, and Kohlberg.
- Discuss the general principles of growth and development for all humans.
- Explain how factors such as heredity, life experiences, health status, and cultural expectations influence growth and development across the life span.
- Discuss the importance of development as a holistic framework for nursing.
- Describe two standardized tests available to assess development.
- Describe the nursing implications that you face in working with individuals from a specific stage of the life cycle. Nursing interventions can include some or all of the following areas: assessment, wellness promotion, safety precautions, responses to health problems, or client or staff education.
Objective # 4 for Developmental Periods of Life Span Research Paper:
Reflect on and gain further insights into your own personal developmental issues and the impact that they have had on your behavior in order to develop an appreciation for individual differences.
- Examine how your personal cultural values have influenced both positively and negatively your care giving to patients.
- Examine developmental issues you are currently experiencing at this point in your life according to Havighurst. Discuss how these changes have either positively or negatively impacted your health and life in general.
Objective # 5 for Developmental Periods of Life Span Research Paper:
Gain a deeper understanding of issues related to and cultural perceptions of and attitudes toward death.
- Discuss Kubler-Ross’s Stages of Death and Dying and sensitivity to the needs of the dying client and family.
- Give an example from your professional nursing practice that illustrates cultural variations in response to the process of dying and grieving among at least two cultural groups different than your own. Areas for discussion can include religion, burial, memorial service, bereavement, suicide, euthanasia, advanced directives, organ donation and advice for health care workers.
Objective # 6 for Developmental Periods of Life Span Research Paper:
Develop your critical thinking and writing skills about concepts presented in this course.
- Present an in-depth discussion from the literature you researched (such as textbooks in nursing, human development, and psychology, current journal articles, credible websites).
- Select information that directly relates to examples of your own professional nursing practice and theoretical researched information.
- Do not tell your personal story. Explain why consideration for human development is an important issue to base professional nursing practice upon.
- Documentation may include such evidence as examples of developmental assessments you have to complete with new patients, care plans that addressed issues related to growth and development, continuing education programs you have attended, letters of commendation from patients and families, a letter from your direct supervisor that indicates your competence in addressing issues related to human development, and programs you have developed that focus on knowledge and/or skills related to death and dying.